SILVER EXPLAINED

AG 925

Silver Explained | Sterling Silver 925 | Silver Plating | Silver Jewellery

It's easy to get confused when you're buying silver jewellery especially with all the terms surrounding it and it's even harder when it's not labelled correctly. We've all been there when a new piece of jewellery has irritated or turned your skin green, especially when you thought what you were wearing was silver. So here's a simple and hopefully helpful guide explaining the differences between silver plated and sterling silver jewellery to help make shopping for jewellery easier. 

SILVER PLATED

When something is silver plated, the silver content is minimal, it's usually less than 1%. This means that the piece of jewellery is actually not silver but a base metal (usually copper, brass or nickel), that gets dipped in a silver bath, which gives it it's silver appearance. This thin layer of silver will give the piece of jewellery the same lustre of sterling silver at first but this layer is often quick to fade leaving behind discoloured skin and dirty looking jewellery. 

Most fashion jewellery is silver plated which allows the cost to be as low as possible.

STERLING SILVER

Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver, which is why it's hallmarked 925 and also makes it more expensive than plated items. The other 7.5% is made up of a base metal (usually copper), this makes the silver more durable. Pure silver is very rarely used in jewellery production because it's very soft and the jewellery just wouldn't last. 

All our silver jewellery is made using sterling silver, which means the silver won't be worn away over time like plated jewellery and it's perfect to be worn everyday.